Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Inspired

A beautiful sound caught me dead in my tracks Sunday night as I flipped back and forth from the 54th Annual Grammy Award's. I watched intently, enveloped in the music. Who was it that I was listening to? Jack White popped into my mind with the scraggly hair and thin mustache coming from the screen; but this sound was definitely no Jack White. Much better in fact. The beautiful harmonies coming from their voices. The sound, the feeling, the emotion; everything about the performance moved me. I was completely mesmerized.


How did I not know about this band earlier? Naturally Google gave me all of the information I needed. The Civil Wars are a singer-songwriter pair from Nashville, Tennessee, Joy Williams and John Paul White, who have been making music together since they met in 2008. Everything about their album Barton Hollow is perfection. The entire album is solid, not just a few good singles. Every song connects. I haven't felt so strongly about an album in a long, long time.

Kudos and sincere thanks to the band for amazing, heartfelt, addictive and real music. A sound like this is hard to come by these days. They capture the emotion perfectly and their lyrics are timeless. Naturally The Civil Wars won a Grammy for Best County Duo and Best Folk Album for Barton Hollow; entirely well deserved.

Here's the video that got me hooked


and, my personal favourite track off of Barton Hollow.


Enjoy, 

Sarah

2 comments:

  1. This duo totally floored me at The Grammy's (which could have used more Civil Wars and less Niki Minage) I'm happy Joy went down the country/folk root. I have her solo album from the early 2000s when she was under a christian label. Love her voice and their smooth harmonies!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joy Williams has such an incredible voice, that's for sure. I agree though, Nicki Minaj's performance was totally whack (in a bad way) but there were a few impressive ones (Lady Gaga and Sugarland was pretty stellar).

    Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete